From the article: Best of Queens 2010
Who do you nominate for the best and the worst of Queens, New York, in 2010? Restaurants, neighborhoods, stores, news, politics, business, sports? Give us your nominations until December 4. Then we'll put it to a vote, starting December 5 and closing December 22. (Note: these dates are extended from the original ones.)
- Best cafe hands down Sweetleaf in Long Island City! They also just tripled in size.
- —Guest Frank
best and worst restaurants
- d'sylvania king of the roaches has good food but you may catch a roach in the food or on the premises
- —Guest rep
Best theatre in Queens
- Thalia Spanish Theatre is the place to see original productions with live music. Their tango musicals in particular are second to none. The space is cozy so there's never a bad seat. And if you don't speak Spanish, don't worry about it!
- —Guest Kathy Butler
- Preferred Dental Care 146-10 45th Ave. Flushing NY 11355
Best new restaurant
- Floresta's in Sunnyside, New York is one of the best New Restaurants I tried in a long time. Great food, the workers are friendly. It was a great experience.
- —Guest Melissa
- Best Argentinian Food in queens, best dessert at a S. American restaurant anywhere!!!
- Very nice restaurant with good food and service....flan to DIE for!
- —Guest Andrea
- Floresta, Sunnyside NY Argentinian Steakhouse-The food and desserts are the best!
- —Guest Mireya Chico
Best new restaurant
- I'd like to nominate Floresta for best new restaurant for being true to Argentine cuisine but more importantly for the leadership it has shown since opening. Floresta is a restaurant featuring Argentine Soul Food that opened in Sunnyside in April 2010. It shortly earned a best entrée award for its grilled skirt steak over arugula salad, and features a variety of home-made sausages and satisfying desserts (best flan in NYC). It is a chef-owned restaurant run by a former butcher and community organizer that supports community-building by hosting fundraisers, tango shows and other cultural and family centered events.
- Best Italian: Sapori di Ischia Best Thai: Sri Pra Phai Best Pub: Saints and Sinners Most Underrated: La Flor Best Beer Garden: Bohemian Hall
Best and worst
- Advanced SPORTS...Fresh Meadows, Queens....best physical therapy Olympic Diner...(all 3): Jamaica Avenue, Lefferts Blvd., where Myrtle Ave starts in Richmond Hill. Kew Gardens: best neighborhood....friendly people and lots of eat, with planned outdoor activities near the railroad. Worst intersection: Metropolitan Avenue at Lefferts Boulevard...desperatley needs "no crossing the double line" signs, needs "stop here at red signal" lines far away from this crazy laid out corner....Needs a hidden camera to give out summonses for those who regularly run the red light, needs to have cross walks made at right angles to prevent elderly and other who have shopping carts or people with strollers or on walkers to avoid entering the traffic where cars are, just to avoid negotiating the curbs. Worst traffic problem and danger: Union Turnpike one block east of Utopia Parkway: Worst nightmare for pedestrians and cars. Huge medical office building entrance and cars, buses, vans, deliveries...