P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center has won international acclaim for its art exhibits. Yet, for a major art institution, there's real zing in the corridors, not the plain white walls of most spaces. Come for the excellent art, and keep coming back to explore this former public school turned art world star.
Recommended Length of Visit: 1.5 hours
- Thursday to Monday - Noon to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday and Wednesday - closed
Address: P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center, 22-25 Jackson Avenue, at 46th Avenue and 21st Street, Long Island City, NY 11101, 718-784-2084
Directions by Car:
- Queensboro Bridge to Queens Blvd, right on Jackson Avenue.
- LIE-West exit Van Dam, right on Van Dam, left on Thompson, left on Jackson.
- LIE-East exit Van Alst and follow 21st Street.
- Parking is tough.
Buses: Q67 to Jackson and 46th Ave. B61 to 46th Ave.
Where to Eat: Lounge 47 serves a great burger and is cool and comfortable for the post-art daze. (47-10 Vernon Blvd, at 47th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101, 718-937-2044)