There are many local events. If you know of one not listed here, please email.
- September 11 National Day of Service
In March 2009, Congress passed legislation to officially designate September 11th as a National Day of Service and Remembrance. This year, observe September 11th by helping people in need. Take the MyGoodDeed.com pledge to honor the victims, heroes and volunteers of 9/11 by taking time to help others on the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Find 9/11 projects in New York City that need your help
Find out more about the September 11 National Day of Service and the MyGoodDeed campaign
- Remember Me Run at St. Michael's Cemetery, 72-02 Astoria Blvd., East Elmhurst, 718-278-3240, $25, free for 10 and under, September, 8, 2012, 2 p.m.
- World Trade Center Memorial Ceremony in Maspeth on Saturday, September 8, 2012, at 11 a.m. at Maspeth Memorial Triangle, 69th St and Grand Ave.
- Memorial Concert at Poppenhusen Institute, September 9, 2012, 2 p.m., 114-04 14th Road College Point, NY
- Remembrance Ceremony 9/11 in Glendale, Memorial Garden, Dry Harbor Playground, Myrtle Ave. & 80 St., Glendale, September 11, 1 p.m.
- Bayside Hills - Every year people gather at the memorial plaque (Bell Blvd and the Horace Harding Expy, Bayside), September 11, 2012, 7 p.m. Bayside Hills Civic Association. Bring candles.
- Juniper Valley Park Candlelight Vigil - Every year people gather to remember at a candlelight vigil in Juniper Valley Park (between 77th and 78th Sts), the evening of September 11, 2012, starting at 7:30 p.m. Bring a chair, blanket, flag, and flashlight. If the sky is clear, there's a chance to see, in the distance the Freedom Tower going up!
- Candlelight Ceremony at Remsen Memorial Park, Alderton Street, September 11, 2012, 6:30 p.m. Rain location at American Legion Hall, 107-15 Metropolitan Ave.
- In Breezy Point, usually an outdoor mass on the evening of 9/11 is held at the 9/11 Memorial, Tribute Park (Rockaway Point Blvd and Beach 218th St), but I haven't been able to confirm for 2011. Parking is possible at the church across the street, or else farther east on Rockaway Point near Beach 209th. Even if there isn't an event, the Breezy Point 9/11 Memorial at Tribute Park is a profound place to visit and remember.
- September Concerts in Astoria - Part of the September Concert series
Rebel Rose Recital Tribute for September Concert, September 9, 2012, 10 a.m., 29th Street and 30th Avenue, Astoria, NY
- Candlelight Ceremony in Astoria Heights - United Community Civic Association/Port Authority of NY & NJ - Annual candlelight ceremony at memorial grove in McManus Memorial Park (81st St and Grand Central Pkwy, Astoria Heights), 7:30 p.m., September 12, 2012