Firework SpotsFourth of July Fireworks and Events - July 4, 2012 - DISAPPOINTMENT - No fireworks over East River this year.
- Oh say can you see the fireworks any better than from Gantry Plaza Park? Long Island City USED TO have the best seats in the house for the big July 4 fireworks show. Now you have to go to Jersey City for fireworks.
Cooling Dance at the Art PartyWarm Up at PS 1 - Opens July 7, 2012 - Saturdays through September 8
- The biggest art and dance party in Queens gets cool this year, cool as in temperature cool. The new installation for the courtyard party at PS 1 includes "Wendy," an environment that cleans the air above the dancing crowd.
Summer Stage - Free Concerts in the ParksSummer Stage in Queens - Many dates
- This is just great - lots of free concerts and puppet shows for kids. Here are a couple highlights: Big Daddy Kane and Marley Marl at Queensbridge Park, and the Metropolitan Opera at Socrates Sculpture Park. Excellent! Check the Summer Stage website for many more free concerts in Queens.
Bike the BoroughTour de Queens - July 8, 2012
- This 20-mile bike ride start at Flushing Meadows Park next to the Queens Museum of Art. It's open to riders of all ages and abilities, but registration is required and limited.
Party the ParadeColombian Parade - July 22, 2012 - all day
- Want to party on Northern Boulevard? The Colombian Parade along Northern Boulevard in Jackson Heights is one of the biggest street events in Queens. Expect fits of yellow, red, and blue, plus bbq and music.
Build Your Own Castle17th Annual Sandcastle Contest at Rockaway Beach - July 29, 2012, noon - 2 p.m.
- This is a summertime classic. Embrace your dreams of glory and build the sandcastle of the year at this family-fun event. There will be refreshments and prizes.
At a Real Farm, a Powerful Dance34th Annual Thunderbird American Indian Mid-Summer Powwow - July 27, 28, and 29, 2012
- The biggest and longest-running Native American powwow in NYC is a spiritual event. You will be moved by just a couple hours at this three-day dance competition, held at the Queens County Farm Museum. Over 40 Native American nations are represented.
Got an event? Email me about your Queens event for listing on Queens.About.com.