Race on the LakeDragon Boat Festival - August 4 and 5 2012
- Over 100 teams will compete for $60,000 in prizes. There will be music, dancing, martial arts demonstrations, an ethnic food court, and more. I hope to see you at this year's.
What Happened to Rockaway Beach? It's a New Beach All Over Again
- Rockaway Beach Club Crawl
- The un-Hamptons is back. Come celebrate the revival of the Rockaway Beach scene and explore the concessions along the boardwalk. They're quirky and fun and the day is free. It's a great way to beat the heat and support your local boardwalk. More details.
Family FunArthur Ashe Kids' Day - August 25, 2012
- Even if your kids don't play tennis, there are lots of reasons to go to Arthur Ashe Kids' Day at the USTA in Flushing Meadows. Although the big concert costs, everything else is free, and that includes tennis tips from stars, games, giveaways, and other activities. It's one of the best kids events in New York City (just be careful with hot and humid weather).
Get Great Tennis for FreeUS Open Qualifying Tournament - August 21-24, 2012
- Real tennis fans know this is the best time to come to the US Open. The Qualifying Tournament is full of heart pounding action and tons of drama and emotion that too often isn't in the more glorified competitions. Best of all the Qualifying Tournament is free.
See the Other Amazings in Flushing MeadowsUS Open - August 27 to September 9, 2012
- The tennis great converge once a year on Flushing Meadows for the most-watched sporting event in the United States. If you're a fan, try the Qualifying Tournament or the excellent first few days of competition. If you're getting free tickets, then have a ball at Arthur Ashe (in the lower seats). (Don't waste your money on upper-level seats at Arthur Ashe.)
Explore the EstuaryFree Canoe Rides on East River - Summer Sundays
- A free canoe ride on the East River? Though it's only for certain folks, oh those folks are in luck! The good people at the LIC Boathouse may not have a boathouse, but they sure are great at opening up the waterfront. Enjoy!
Got an event? Email me about your Queens event for listing on Queens.About.com.