The Bottom Line
- Serious women's shoes at serious discounts
- This year's fashions on sale
- Not even close to the subway
- Address: 35-16 Bell Blvd, Bayside, NY 11361
- Phone: 718-423-8666
- Hours: Mon, Wed, Fri, 10 - 4:30; Tue, Thu, 10 - 9; Sat 10 - 5; Sun 12 - 4:30 (hours may change)
- Parking: Try metered spots on Bell Boulevard or else on sidestreets 36th Avenue.
- Mass Transit: Buses Q13 and Q31 run up Bell Boulevard. LIRR to Bayside and then walk up Bell.
- Serious shoe lovers can join Hazel's Frequent Buyers Club.
- Carries the latest fashions for women in flats and heels.
Guide Review - Hazel's House of Shoes
Hazel's shoe paradise has open shelving units stacked with boxes upon boxes of shoes, allowing you to check for your size with little more than a quick glance. If you prefer, Hazel's teems with saleswomen who are pleasant and chatty but never pushy.
The impressive range of special occasion and dyeable shoes at the front of the store should be any bridal party member's first consideration. Hazel sold me a pair of Kenneth Cole wedding shoes for $55, the same ones selling in the department store for $125.
I've also found boots for $80 that retailed elsewhere for $130. But unlike a typical discount shoe store, Hazel stocks this year's fashions, not last year's remnants. If you need a specific style, she might be able to special-order it for you.
If the everyday prices aren't enough of an incentive, drop in during one of Hazel's seasonal clearance events, for deals and discounts.
Hazel's Frequent Buyers Club rewards shoe lovers with a free pair of shoes (value up to $50) when you buy 10 pairs of shoes.
Hazel's also carries a decent selection of bags, from everyday work-appropriate totes to sparkly evening clutches. Hazel knows her bags, Louis Vuitton and more, but shoes are her thing.