So close to Manhattan and the Empire State Building that you can pinch it, Sunnyside is 15 minutes from Midtown by the #7 subway. It rides high above multi-lane Queens Boulevard, which splits the neighborhood in half.
- See For Yourself - Photos of Sunnyside
- Your Thoughts on Sunnyside? - Sunnyside Forum
Neighborhood Boundaries and Main Streets:
To the east there's New Cavalry Cemetery and, roughly along 50th Avenue, Woodside, which is more a partner than a neighbor.
Main streets are: roaring Queens Boulevard, bustling shopping on Greenpoint Avenue, and quieter commercial strips on 43rd and Skillman Avenues. Industry takes over west of 39th Street.
On several of Sunnyside Gardens's seven plus blocks, homes share a common interior garden. Residents also share a private park. The Sunnyside Gardens Preservation Alliance works for neighborhood landmark status.
Sunnyside Real Estate and Apartments (Updated - March 2006):
- Co-op Sales - Most in six-story elevator buildings
- One-bedroom: $150,000+
- Two-bedroom: $200,000+
- Rentals - Six-story elevator buildings and six-family buildings (three-story walk-ups):
- One-bedroom: $950-$1,200
- Two-bedroom: $1,250-$1,600, less common
Prices tend up north of Queens Blvd.
- Sales in Sunnyside Gardens - Commands a premium.
- One-family: $600,000+
- Two-family: $700,000+
- Three-family: $900,000+
- Rentals in Sunnyside Gardens
- One-bedroom: $1,000-$1,300
- Two-bedroom: $1,400-$1,800
Once strongly Irish, Sunnyside in the last 40 years has welcomed South Americans, Koreans, Turks, Romanians, and the new Irish immigrants. The local St. Pat's for All Parade has brought media attention to the area.
Restaurants and Bars:
Homey Korean BBQ joint Shin Chon Kalbi (43-01 Queens Blvd, 718-706-9205) serves a wicked tasty jaeyuk (pork and veggie stir-fry) for lunch with banchan.
Mama's Empanadas (42-18 Greenpoint Ave) is yummy for meat-stuffed empanadas, and an apple pie empanada for dessert.
French cruller love at Alpha Donuts(45-16 Queens Blvd), and Baruir's (40-07 Queens Blvd) roasts mighty coffee.
Parks and Green Spaces:
The private Sunnyside Park (39th Ave and 49th St) is a delicious slice of three green acres. Dues-paying Sunnyside Gardens residents also contribute their labor to keep it so nice.
Things To Do and Pubs and Rock:
The art collective Flux Factory (3838 43rd St) has the most fun art events in Queens at their warehouse home.
Shed light on Irish culture via pub row (Queens Blvd, 41st-48th Sts), starting, even staying, at Gaslight (4317 Queens Blvd) and its backyard garden. Rock en espanol at La Kueva (39-31 Queens Blvd).
Crime and Safety:
The 108th Precinct (including Long Island City) reported the following crimes for the year-to-date (12/18/05): 2 murders (3 in 2004), 9 rapes (9 in 2004), 186 robberies (194 in 2004), 69 felonious assaults (60 in 2004), and 219 burglaries (391 in 2004).
- Issues and Worries: Lack of parking, traffic congestion, and school overcrowding.
- Real Estate Agents:
- Library: 43-06 Greenpoint Ave, 718-784-3033
- Schools: In the 11104 zip code, there are two public elementary schools. IndieSchools.org reports success at P.S. 150 and at P.S. 199 Maurice A. Fitzgerald School.
- Subways: 7 (local) - 46th St/Bliss, 40th St/Lowery St
- Long Island Railroad (LIRR): In nearby Woodside at Roosevelt and 61st Ave. Woodside Schedule - 11 minutes to Manhattan
- Parking: South of and along Queens Blvd is tight. Try north of the Boulevard.
- Parking Garages and Lots: Queens Boro Parking Corp (5025 Barnett Ave, 718-478-3222)
- Movie Theaters: New Center Cinema, 4217 Queens Blvd, 718-361-6869; bargain matinees, bargain Tuesdays
- Shopping: Tulcingo Bakery (43-13 Greenpoint Ave) sells Mexican treats and pinatas. Kim's Fish and Lobster (42-13 Queens Blvd). Pioneer Supermarket (45-60 46th St) is super convenient, but Pathmark (42-02 Northern Blvd, Long Island City) has a parking lot.
- Post Office: 4515 44th St
- Hospitals: Elmhurst Hospital Center, 79-01 Broadway, Elmhurst, NY 11373, 334-4000
- Police Station: 108th Precinct, 5-47 50th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11105, 718-784-5411
- Banks: Many banks have branches on Queens Blvd, including Washington Mutual (46-10 Queens Blvd) and Chase Manhattan (47-11 Queens Blvd).
- Community Board 2: 43-22 50th St, Woodside, NY 11377, 718-533-8773
- Business Organization: Sunnyside Chamber of Commerce, /o LaGuardia Community College, 31-10 Thomson Ave (suite M222), Long Island City, NY 11101, 718-482-6053
- Sunnyside Zip Code: 11104