Boundaries and Main Streets:
Along the border with Brooklyn is the Jackie Robinson Parkway, which is a short route to the Van Wyck and Grand Central (20+ minutes to JFK or LGA).
Ridewood Apartments and Real Estate - April 2006:
Rentals in Ridgewood Apartments are advertised by number of rooms, which vary widely.
- One-bedroom: $800 - $1,200
- Two-bedroom: $1,100 - $1,400
- House Sales in Ridgewood
- Two-family houses: $500,000+
- Three-family: $550,000+
Crime and Safety:
For the year-to-date (3/19/06), the 104th Precinct (including most of Ridgewood, plus Glendale, Middle Village, and Maspeth) reported: 1 murder (1 in 2005), 7 rapes (3 in 2005), 76 robberies (59 in 2005), 26 felonious assaults (34 in 2005), 96 burglaries (87 in 2005).
Restaurants and Bars:
Myrtle Avenue is infested with cheap, greasy pizzerias. Instead, head over to 66-53 Forest Avenue for Joe's Pizzeria (also try Joe's excellent restaurant at 66-11 Forest).
The Forest Pork Store (66-39 Forest Avenue) is a last German taste in the neighborhood. Also try Bosnian beef and lamb burgers at Bosna-Express (791 Fairview Avenue).
Landmarks and Architecture:
The Greater Ridgewood Historical Society is headquarted in the Vander Ende-Onderdonk House, a Dutch colonial farmhouse built in 1709 and one of the oldest structures in Queens. Incongruously, factories and trash surround the farmhouse's acre lot. Unbelievably, it has served as a stable, speakeasy, and factory for the Apollo space program.
Ridgewood's Famous and Dead:
Mobster Carmine Galante met his doom by the gun of rival mafioso in the backyard of Joe and Mary's Restaurant on Knickerbocker Avenue on the Bushwick border.
P.S. 71 graduated actor James Cagney and Yankee (and Money Store pitchman) Phil Rizzuto.
- See For Yourself: Photos of the neighborhood.
- Shopping: Small stores (more Mom and Pop than chains) line Myrtle Avenue and Fresh Pond Road, and corner stores got the neighborhood cornered. Head to the Metro Mall on Metropolitan in Middle Village for BJs and more chains.
- Library: 20-12 Madison Street, 718-821-4770
- Parking: Main streets are tight, but it's usually easy to find spots on the side streets.
- Post Office: 60-60 Myrtle Avenue, and also at 60-80 Woodbine Street
- Hospital: Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, 374 Stockholm Street, Brooklyn, NY. ER entrance at Stanhope Street and Wyckoff Avenue.
- Movies: Ridgewood Theater, 55-27 Myrtle Avenue, 718-821-5993. Opened in 1913, it is one of the longest continuously operated theaters in NYC.
- Police Station: 64-02 Catalpa Avenue, 718-386-3004
- Ridgewood Savings Bank: 71-02 Forest Avenue (at Myrtle). There are plenty of banks around, but this one is a classic, stone bank headquarters.
- Community Board 5: 61-23 Myrtle Avenue, Glendale, NY 11385, 718-366-1834
- Business Organizations: Fresh Pond Road Chamber of Commerce (67-09 Fresh Pond Road, 718-821-2255), Ridgewood Myrtle Avenue BID (59-09 Myrtle Avenue, 718-381-7974), Ridgewood Local Development Corporation (57-14 Myrtle Avenue, 718-366-3806)
- Health Club: American Physique, 1661 Weirfield Street
- Schools: NYC Public Schools in 11385 Zip
- Original Name: South Williamsburgh
- Zip Code: 11385 (includes part of Glendale)
- Adjacent Neighborhoods: Middle Village, Maspeth, Glendale, Bushwick