Glendale is a quiet working-class and middle-class neighborhood of small apartment buildings, multi-family homes, and attached houses. It's in the center of cemetery land, with cemeteries filling over half of the neighborhood's space, and almost all the high ground. The neighborhood's old, but has one of the borough's most modern shopping centers -- Atlas Park mall. It's not at all well known neighborhood. Who ever head of Glendale, Queens? But two TVs shows set in the borough -- All in the Family and King Of Queens -- allude to Glendale.
Boundaries and Main Streets:
Glendale's boundaries are all over the place. A string of cemeteries and the Jackie Robinson Parkway form the southern part of the neighborhood with Brooklyn. To the west is Ridgewood, with Fresh Pond Road and the subway line forming the border. To the north is another train line and Cooper Avenue, separating Glendale from Middle Village. To the east is Woodhaven Boulevard, with a little enclave wrapping around St. John's Cemetery and extending north of Metropolitan Avenue, meeting Forest Hills. The eastern boundary extends to Forest Park, south of Metropolitan Avenue.
The M subway line stops at Fresh Pond Road and 67th Ave. The L line at Myrtle and Wyckoff in Brooklyn's Bushwick isn't too far away. It's a run to Manhattan, at least 40 minutes. The QM 24 is an express bus line from Glendale to midtown Manhattan. The Jackie Robinson Parkway is quick to access from the neighborhood.
Restaurants and Bars:
Zum Stammtisch has served German cuisine in the heart of Glendale, since it was a predominately German neighborhood. Leone's Pizzeria on Cooper Avenue is one of the best neighborhood pizzerias in New York, baking a perfect crust on the savory pies. At Atlas Park you can find chain restaurants Chili's Bar and Grill, California Pizza Kitchen, Starbucks, and Shiro of Japan.
King of Queens, the long-running TV show, featured the Glendale pub Cooper Ale House in its opening. The bar is currently known as Yer Man's Irish Pub, located on 88th Street, just south of Cooper.
Shopping in Glendale, Queens:
Myrtle Avenue is Glendale's main street, full of small deli, restaurants, and businesses. The Shops at Atlas Park is a mall that opened in 2006. It's a modern, outdoor mall with a great movie theater, and a number of clothing stores and restaurants. The mall has seen ups and downs as ownership has changed hands.
Neighborhood Basics - Glendale, New York:
- Queens Library at Glendale - 78-60 73 Place, Glendale, NY 11385
- Parking is tight on Glendale's one-way streets.
- Post Office - 6936 Myrtle Ave, Glendale, NY 11385
- Hospital - Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, 374 Stockholm Street, Brooklyn, NY. ER entrance at Stanhope Street and Wyckoff Avenue.
- Police Station - 64-02 Catalpa Avenue, 718-386-3004
- Community Board 5 - 61-23 Myrtle Avenue, Glendale, NY 11385, 718-366-1834
- Schools - P.S. 91 Elementary, P.S. 113 Elementary, I.S. 119 The Glendale Intermediate School, St John's Lutheran Elementary, Sacred Heart Elementary, Redeemer Lutheran Elementary, and St Pancras Elementary.
- Zip Code - 11385