Two powerful local institutions, St. John's University and Queens Hospital Center, dominate the area, and both have expanded in recent years. Their activities are in contrast to Hillcrest's quiet, residential side streets, lined with trees and one-family and row houses.
- Neighborhood Organization: Hillcrest Estates Civic Association
- Community Board: 8
- Annual flea market and street fair
- St. John's basketball and other sports
- Hillcrest Library: 187-05 Union Turnpike, 718-454-2786
- Police: 107th Precinct
- Zip Codes: 11366 (a.k.a. Flushing) and 11432 (a.k.a. Jamaica)