A Working Farm on the Edge of New York City:
The Queens County Farm Museum is a working, educational farm on a 47-acre site on the edge of Queens, right on the Nassau County border. The events and activities at the farm make it a great way to spend an afternoon, especially with a few city-raised kids in tow.
You'll get a chance to meet sheep, goats, pigs, and chickens, and "talk" to the most mellow cow in the world. The animals, for the most part, are readily accessible to visitors. And the museum sells feed for young hands willing to get licked by sheep and goats.
Why Visit the Queens County Farm Museum?:
The Queens County Farm Museum grows corn, veggies, herbs, fruit and even grapes. The museum's own gift shop functions as farm-stand during the summer and the fall. The first vintage of Queens-grown wine is expected in 2008. Explore the grounds and you'll find orchards of fruit trees, green houses, and those grape arbors.
Queens County Farm Museum Events:
Most of the special events require an admission fee, and often additional fees for carnival rides and pony rides.
- Events - List of Annual Events at the Queens County Farm Museum
- Events at Queens Farm Museum (Official Site)
- Weddings and Your Special Events - See the farm's website about party rental.
Visiting the Queens County Farm Museum:
- Map - 73-50 Little Neck Pkwy, Floral Park, NY 11004 (Google Maps)
Wear sturdy shoes, and be prepared to do a good bit of walking. The site is spread out.
Hours and Admission to Queens County Farm Museum:
- Open year round
- Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (outdoor visiting only)
- Saturday - Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (tours of farmhouse and hayrides, weather permitting)
AdmissionCost to enter is usually free, except when you're most likely to attend: the Queens County Fair and other special events and classes. Then it's at least $6/adult, $3/child. Check the museum's website for latest admission details.
Getting to the Queens County Farm Museum:
- Map - 73-50 Little Neck Pkwy, Floral Park, NY (Google Maps)
Directions by Car to the Queens County Farm MuseumFrom Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens
- Grand Central Pkwy East to Exit 24. Right onto Little Neck Pkwy and three blocks to museum on right.
- Long Island Expy (LIE) East to Exit 32. Right onto Little Neck Pkwy and drive 1.5 miles to museum on right.
- Northern State Pkwy West into Grand Central Pkwy West to Exit 24. Left onto Little Neck Pkwy and three blocks to museum on right.
- Long Island Long Island Expy (LIE) West to Exit 32. Turn left onto Little Neck Pkwy, drive 1.5 miles to museum on right.
- Clearview Expressway south to Exit 1 (Or, Cross Island Pkwy to exit 29 East for Grand Central), Grand Central Pkwy East to Exit 24. Right onto Little Neck Pkwy and three blocks to museum on right.
- Cross Island Pkwy north to Exit 29 East to Grand Central Pkwy East. Grand Central to Exit 24. Right onto Little Neck Pkwy and go three blocks to museum on right.
Directions by Train and SubwayTrain or LIRR
Little Neck LIRR Station. On the Port Washington Line. There's car service ($10) from the station for the 2.5 mile drive to museum. Or the Floral Park LIRR Station on the Hempstead Line, accessible from Jamaica. There's car service ($10) for the 3+ mile drive.
There's no point in taking the subway to the museum. You'd just have to transfer to a bus for a long ride.
If you insist, take the express E or F subways to Union Tpke/Kew Gardens and switch to the Q46 bus for a long ride east on Union. Get off at Little Neck Pkwy, cross Union, and walk north on Little Neck three blocks to museum on left.
Directions by BusQ46 Bus on Union Tpke. Get off at Little Neck Pkwy, cross Union, and walk north on Little Neck three blocks to museum on left.
Q79 Bus on Little Neck Pkwy. Ask the driver to let you off at museum. Or, go past it to Union Tpke, and walk back north the three blocks to the museum.