Jamaica Estates is an affluent neighborhood in central-eastern Queens. It's at the end of the F subway line, and known for its Tudor-style houses and as the childhood home of Donald Trump. Orignally devleoped as a suburb in the early 1900s, the neighborhood retains the suburban feel, although some older homes have been replaced by houses with much larger footprints.
The neighborhood has hilly, windy streets lined with trees, unlike most of the Queens grid. Real estate is mostly single-family houses, some quite large. Properties on larger lots tend to sell for more than a million. Some co-op apartments and rentals can be found closer to Hillside Avenue.
Jamaica Estates meets Fresh Meadows to the north along Union Turnpike. To the east is hilly Holliswood at 188th Street. The southern boundary is the commercial strip along Hillside Avenue (and the farthest reaches of the F subway). To the west is Jamaica Hills at Homelawn Street, and the campus of St. John's University, along Utopia Parkway. The Grand Central Parkway divides through the neighborhood.
Like its neighbors Jamaica Hills and Holliswood, the neighborhood is hilly, part of the terminal morraine formed by a retreating glacier. South of Hillside the geography is flat.
Transportation - Jamaica Estates
The terminal station of the F subway line is at the edge of Jamaica Estates on Hillside Avenue at 179th Street. The QM6, QM7, and QM8 run express to Manhattan along Union Turnpike. The neighborhood is convenient to the Grand Central Parkway and Clearview Expressway.
"The Donald" - The Childhood Home of Donald Trump
Donald J. Trump, real estate developer and TV personality, grew up in Jamaica Estates. His father Fred Trump was a real estate developer in New York, and the Donald was raised in an affluent household.
The McDowell Home in Jamaica Estates - Coming to America
In the comedy film Coming to America, the McDowell family -- led by Cleo McDowell the hamburger king -- lives in Jamaica Estates at the fictitious address of 2432 Derby Avenue. The family's Tudor-style home is a setting that appear several times in the movie.
- More about Coming to America in Queens
- Jamaica Estates Association
- Queens Library at -
- Parking can be tight close to the commercial strips along Hillside Avenue and Union Turnpike.
- Post Office - 18204 Union Tpke, Fresh Meadows, NY 11366
- Police Station - 107th Precinct, 71-01 Parsons Blvd, Flushing, NY 11365, 718-969-5100
- Community Board 8
- Schools - Nearby elementary schools include The Holliswood School (PS 178), The Abigail Adams School (PS 131), and Immaculate Conception School. Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica Estates is an all-girls Catholic high school. The Yeshiva University High School for Girls is in neighboring Holliswood.
- Zip Code - 11432