- Santa Claus in Queens - Dates, times, and locations to meet Old St. Nick (update in progress)
- Hanukkah in Queens
Not to be out done, the Queens Center Mall kicks off its holiday season with a tree lighting. The first 500 children will receive a free magic wand to help light the tree. Then it's milk, cookies, and Santa time. See more about Santa at Queens Center and the mall's other promotions in December.
- November 9, 2012, 4 p.m. (Level 2, JCPenney Wing)
- Queens Center Mall, LIE at Queens Blvd, Elmhurst
Woodhaven Tree Lighting
- Woodhaven Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony - December 7, 2012
- At intersection of Forest Pkwy and Jamaica Ave
Woodside Tree Lighting
- Woodside on the Move Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony - December 1, 2012, 6 p.m.
- 58th St and Woodisde Ave
Queens Library Celebrates the Holidays
There are many holiday events at local library branches throughout Queens. Check the Queens Library website for a list of all events, including arts and crafts and concerts.
- December 8, 2012, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., free
- Langston Hughes Community Library and Cultural Center, 100-01 Northern Blvd, Corona, NY
Holidays on Jamaica Avenue
The Jamaica Performing Arts Center pulls out the stops this season with three holiday events.
- Tidings of Comfort and Joy, Gospel Artist Karl Jackson, Saturday, December 15, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- The Prodigal Scrooge,Friday, December 21 - Sunday, December 23; Opening night Gala, Friday, December 21, 7 p.m.
- The Finest Christmas Ever, Happy Hip Hop Holiday!, Wednesday, December 26, 3 p.m.
- 153-10 Jamaica Ave, Jamaica, NY
With King Manor decorated for the holidays, there's a day of stories, crafts, and free winter fun for families on December 15.
- Holiday Fun: FREE Hands-On History: Snowed in at The Manor - December 15, 2012, noon, King Manor Museum (150th St and Jamaica Ave)
Annual Holiday Concert - Oratorio Society of Queens
The Oratorio Society of Queens celebrates on December 16, 2012, with excerpts from Handel's Messiah, plus sing-along Christmas carols and Hanukkah favorites.
- December 16, 2012, 4 p.m., $30/$25/free
- Oratorio Society of Queens - 718-279-3006
- Queensborough Performing Arts Center (at Queensborough College), Bayside
- The Nutcracker, December 15, 2012, 7:30 p.m., $20-$30, details
Flushing Historic House Holiday Tour
It's a Flushing tradition to tour the historic sites of the neighborhood each winter. This year the event is December 8, 2012, $10 for adults and free for kids. Sites include Flushing Town Hall, Kingsland Homestead, Voelker-Orth Museum, Lewis Latimer House Museum, and Friends Meeting House. This is a lovely way to learn the history of Flushing with others interested in the wealth of local lore. Contact Flushing Town Hall for more information. You can pair the tour with seeing the The Nutcracker at Flushing Town Hall.
Kwanzaa and The Nutcracker and Hanukkah at Flushing Town Hall
Two performances cover the holidays at Flushing Town Hall.
- The Nutcracker - December 22, 2012
- Kwanzaa Storytelling Workshop - December 16, 2012
- Kwanzaa Celebration: Universal African Dance and Drum Ensemble - December 16, 2012
- Flushing Town Hall, 137-35 Northern Blvd, Flushing, 718-463-7700
Join the annual holiday lighting festival in Jackson Heights and celebrate the season with neighbors. There will be a tree, a menorah, and holiday lights, plus music by school kids.
- Jackson Heights Post Office, 78-02 37th Ave
Holiday Open House at the Queens Farm Museum
Celebrate the holidays with free Yule-time tours of the Queens Country Farm Museum, plus arts and crafts for kids and mulled cider. Also come by the Farm in December to buy Christmas trees, wreaths, and poinsettias.
- December 26, 27, and 28, 2012 - noon to 4 p.m., free
- Queens Farm Museum, 73-50 Little Neck Pkwy, Floral Park, 718-347-3276
- Christmas Trees and Poinsettia Sales: December 1 to 24, 2012
Holiday Tours at Louis Armstrong House
The Louis Armstrong House Museum gives tours of the house all decked out for Christmas. Enjoy holiday season audio clips and recordings. In the gift shop you can find some unusual items, like Jazzmen Rice, a jasmine rice grown in Louisiana.
- Louis Armstrong House Museum - Holiday Tours
- December 4 - 30, 2012
- 34-56 107th St
Did we miss a holiday event? Email email@example.com with all the details. And I wish you a very happy Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, and any holiday I missed, plus a healthy New Year to you and your family!