The Bottom Line
- Inexpensive - nothing more than $10
- Quick service
- Clean and nice space
- Unique foods not found in other NYC South Asian restaurants
- All vegetarian
- Cramped seating
- Overwhelming menu options for newbie to Mumbai street food
- Not as exciting as "Mumbai Express," a Bollywood film of similar name
- Mumbai Xpress Address - 256-05 Hillside Ave, Floral Park, NY, 11004
- Phone - 718-470-0059
- In Floral Park (Queens) and north of Floral Park (Nassau County)
- No subway. Not easily accessible from the LIRR Floral Park or New Hyde Park train stations
- All vegetarian
- Photos of Mumbai on the walls
- Unsure of what to order? Ask for help.
- Grilled cheese and fruit drinks could please any palate.
- Chowpatty specialties -- the Mumbai equivalent of Coney Island hot dogs and cotton candy
Guide Review - Mumbai Xpress - Resturant Review
New to Indian food? With an American-style grilled cheese, shakes, and fresh-squeezed juices on the menu, you might not even have to try. The space is small, but warm, welcoming -- much nicer than the Dunkin Donuts across the street. It's very popular with local Indian and desi families and teens.
Where is it? It's out, way out, about as far east as you can go and still be in New York City: Floral Park, a Queens-Nassau border neighborhood with a growing South Asian population. There's a strip of Indian and South Asian restaurants and stores on Hillside Avenue in Floral Park. While the economic recession has hit a number of these, Mumbai Xpress's low-cost menu and unique tastes of home have kept it busy.
My only regret is that our first visit didn't include sampling the milkshakes ($4). We spotted a strawberry concoction dusted with what my dining companion said was basil seed. It might even best the Carvel down the street for cold treats.