The Bottom Line
- Excellent Thai curries and soups
- Good value. Expect to pay $10-15 per person
- Difficult to find parking on the street
- Limited seating
- Address: 38-12 Prince Street, Flushing, NY 11354, at 39 Ave. between Roosevelt and Northern Blvds.
- Phone: (718) 353-1888
- Website: www.greenpapayathaicuisine.com
- Hours: Green Papaya is open for lunch and dinner every day.
- Parking: Try the municipal parking lot on Prince Street between 38th and 39th Avenues.
- Menu features plenty of seafood options, including squid, lobster, and clams.
- Cash only. No credit cards.
Guide Review - Restaurant Review: Green Papaya Thai Cuisine in Flushing
Try the panang curry ($5/small, $8/large) to open up your breathing, and find delight in every bite. Mine was perfectly cooked. The carrots in this red curry were soft, but not mushy, and the green bean still had a bit of snap. Or else, go for pad gra pao ($6) -- stir-fried chicken (or beef or pork), basil, garlic, onion, peppers, and chile sauce -- which slowly builds a smoky fire in the back of the throat. If you prefer, lay off the heat with fragrant tom ka gai soup ($3/small) and a heaping pile of pad thai noodles with shrimp, chicken, or tofu ($7). When mangoes are in season, I will be back to sample the dessert of mangoes and sweet rice.
Green Papaya is a small restaurant, but the staff is very friendly and competent. They even gave a companion a free refill of Thai iced coffee (deliciously sweet with condensed milk). You will not be disappointed by Green Papaya's food or service. Check out this Thai eatery the next time business or pleasure brings you to Flushing.