The Bottom Line
- Excellent Mexican food
- Great value and free delivery
- Just the right atmosphere
- The Guacamole
- Courtyard seating is next to parking lot
- Address - 178-27 Hillside Avenue, Jamaica, Queens, New York
- Phone - 718-558-5931
- Hours - 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday to Thursday, and 9 a.m. to midnight Friday and Saturday.
- Subway - Almost directly outside the F subway at the 179th St station.
- Parking -Free parking in rear of restaurant. Enter via 71st Place from Hillside Avenue.
- Street parking available in the residential neighborhood north of Hillside.
- Serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Outdoor seating on a patio is nice, but it overlooks the unkempt parking lot.
Guide Review - El Coyote Mexican Restaurant
I recommend starting with guacamole ($7) made at your table. The avocados are carefully, lovingly crushed, and the spices are mixed to your taste (Try three or more chiles). Seven bucks isn't steep for this dish. It simply can't be beat.
The restaurant's chicken soup ($5) could be a meal in itself. Though the carnitas michoacanas (roast pork at $9) are a bit dry, they come with a fine green sauce. The fajitas ($10) are exceptional. The menu and specials run to the coast with plenty of seafood options. And everything comes with a miniature mountain of rice and beans for all the big eaters.
Unfortunately, the restaurant pushes wine. It's unfortunate simply because there's a first-rate selection of tequilas for margaritas, and crisp Modelo Especial beer to drink, as well as non-alcoholic horchata (a delicious rice drink) and agua frescas for your sipping pleasure. Luckily for tequila fans, El Coyote is just outside the last stop on the F train, giving you an excuse to leave the car at home.
Sandwiched between 99 cent stores and a small-time grocery, it's easy to overlook El Coyote. That would be the biggest mistake you could make in the neighborhood.