The Bottom Line
- Good service and deor. Quality Thai food
- Affordable prices
- Delicious Thai puddings and custards for dessert
- Tough to find parking
- Address: Arunee Thai, 37-68 79th Street (just off Roosevelt Avenue), Jackson Heights, NY
- Phone: 718-205-5559
- Parking is next to impossible on Roosevelt Avenue. Try 79th Street and 37th Avenue.
- Subways: Arunee is close to the E, F, G, R, and V at the Rooosevelt Ave stop and the 7 at 82nd St.
Guide Review - Restaurant Review: Arunee Thai in Jackson Heights
Dinner starts with a free bowl of shrimp chips or crisps, served with a peanut dipping sauce. If more peanut dip is to your liking, I recommend munching on deep fried bean curd as an appetizer.
The food is excellent. You can't go wrong with their green or red curries, nor the Pad Prik dishes. Presentation matters here, as well as service. Entrees are affordable, and an entire dinner for two with soup, entrees, and beer or Thai iced tea should cost about $30.
There is also a dessert counter with many puddings and custards. We enjoyed a deliciously cool rice pudding compliments of our waiter on our first visit. It was a delightful way to end a meal and begin a relationship with this restaurant. Recently, I sampled a great pumpkin custard, layers of cool custard on warm pumpkin flesh still in a squash shell.
One minor caveat: Be careful with a large order of Tom Kha Gai soup. Though the delicious, the large portion is served in a tureen with a sterno or other incandescent on the inside to keep the soup warm. As we enjoyed our first bowl, the remaining broth began to scorch from the heat. Put it out!