P.S. 1's website has current exhibit information.
The museum is in a former public school, and there's a real edge and energy created by the juxtaposition of an old school and new art. Walk toward class as the sounds of experimental video art bounce down the stone and metal corridors. Take the stairs up to the roof for a smoke and an unadvertised sculpture. Peer into the boiler room downstairs (or is it off limits?) and find the art tucked into the corners. Add to the dissonce the attendants, many of whom are students in local high schools.
P.S. 1 Hours:
Open 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday through Monday
Closed on Tuesday and Wednesday
- Suggested donation for admission is $5.
- For seniors and students it's $2.
- Admission is free for members.
P.S. 1 Address:
P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center
22-25 Jackson Avenue (at the intersection of 46th Avenue)
Long Island City, NY
Subway to P.S. 1 :
- 7 subway to 45th Rd/Courthouse. Exit to Jackson and walk south to 46th Ave.
- E subway to 23rd St/Ely Ave. 23rd St to Jackson. Right on Jackson to 46th Ave.
- G subway to 21 St/Jackson Ave. Cross the street to the left for P.S. 1.