Photo (c) John Roleke - Hindu temple in Flushig that is part of Open House NY
In just over a week it's Open House NY, a chance to peer into the back rooms and hidden hallways of buildings and architecture across the city. In Queens, there are some 17 sites participating.
Top 5 Picks for Open House NY in Queens:
- TWA Flight Center, the world-famous iconic, 1960s terminal at JFK, done by architect Eero Saarinen. Yes, there is a reason to want to be in an airport terminal.
- Hindu Temple Society of North America - Hindu temple with intricate facade in Flushing
- Sunnyside Gardens Tour - Get behind the scenes at this shared garden and planned community 15 minutes from Manhattan
- Boat Along Newtown Creek - Join the Newtown Creek Alliance for a boat tour of the industrial, polluted waterway.
- Long Island City High School - Go back to school and also check out artwork installations by artist Dennis Adams. Hey, PS 1 started out as a school in Long Island City. Could it be a trend?
- Open House NY
- October 6 and 7, 2012